Monday 31 October 2011

Day 27 Monday 31st October 2011 (Environment)

Monday 31st Oct 2011

Today started off with Tom's perception lecture. Camera position. I found this lecture quite interesting, and the whole time I was thinking about camera positions and angles for the environment project. Despite the fire alarm and running out of time to view Tom's examples of essays (which I would have liked to have seen and I hope get posted) I was interested in the different approaches to the subject matter. My notes mostly consisted of photographers names and snippets about how they shoot.

After the lecture I sought Jonathan out and I've offered to assist the course by putting my name forward as a student representative. Initially I thought it sounded like an interesting opportunity to have a voice at an official level within UCA, but I held back because I look after my son every other weekend, and thus my study time is already partially restricted. Seeing that the list of volunteers wasn't a long one, and having previous experience (as an employee rep and a shop steward for the Transport and General Workers Union TGWU), I've put my name forward.


It seemed pretty clear that I'd have spent most of the day hanging around if I tried to print today, so I decided to go shoot another roll of test shots on 35mm. This decision was based on the mornings lecture, and Steffi's earlier tutorial, and a desire to explore an alternate viewpoint for the images. It also means I'll have more material to print tomorrow, and I'll be happier having a selection of images. I returned to Dartford Park (where I met up with a friend who had offered to assist etc), but due to the number of people there I was only able to shoot the one swing set, so I returned to Waller Park which is always less busy. Shooting on 35mm 400 ISO HP5 I used the Patterson tank and my chemicals to develop the film again with the following results. Thanks for your assistance Jenna, hanging around parks alone always looks odd/suspicious so the company was appreciated!









My new direction comes from studying the work of Bernd and Hilla Becher




I liked the head on/side on nature of the images, the way the viewer sees the structures always from one direction. Some of the structures almost look like they need slides attached and swings because the shapes resemble play equipment.
My images take some of the Berchers visual elements, with a degree of the topographic about the actual play equipment.
But unlike the Berchers, my brief is for an environment/landscape (not just a single structure) so I have pulled back to contextualise my images by showing the locations. Although these may not be 'countryside' images, to many children parks are the only green space they see, and to them it's the landscape of their youths.


No comments:

Post a Comment