Monday 17 October 2011

Day 21 Monday 17th October 2011

Monday 17th October 2011: 10:00 Unit Lecture -Representation: Semiotics

Due to Toms absence this lecture was taught/delivered by Associate Dean Micheal Poraj-Wilczynski

An interesting explanation of what Semiotics were (something new to me)

Derived from the Greek word 'Semeion', meaning sign.

I think I'll do a bit more looking into this, it's interesting because as a parent you train these skills into your child, The art of how to see and understand the word, the obvious and hidden meanings and dangers. How to read objects and people, images and words.
I must admit that I found myself thinking of Stephen Hawking and the Matrix films oddly enough during this talk. It was all about codification, and bringing meaning and order to existence/how we communicate and understand, and data really. How we decode the world, and the common use in our culture of the proliferation of visual codes and meanings.
Having previously worked with computer systems in business based on codes, it was a very familiar subject to me in some respects.


I've handed in the mamiya 7ii, and booked out another Bronica SQB (until Wednesday)


16:00 Seminar: Perception Unit (Cancelled, to be re-scheduled) I have all the pre-reading for this, and have also printed of the pre-reading for next weeks Monday Lecture (it's all filed away as usual!).

No comments:

Post a Comment