Thursday 20 October 2011

Day 22 (Object lighting) Thursday 20th October 2011

Thursday 20th October 2011 Object shoot Lighting and prep.



Lighting is always an issue.

Having been told that most of the studios were booked, and that lighting could be sorted on the shoot day simply by bringing in an example of how we want our shoot to look I really didn't feel comfortable with that. I like to have a good idea and some direction.
So I set up a light at home and just moved it about and thought about what I wanted to do. The lighting seemed to work best coming from the RH side, for several reasons: the layout of the objects, The position of the skull; but for me symbolically the open blank page to the RH side of the image was lit first and the light came from that direction..The light coming from the new unwritten chapter, I liked that idea.
Of course the camera, light, ambient light all differ from those in the studio, but it gives me enough of an idea of the overall lighting to make me feel more comfortable I have a starting position to work from tomorrow. The light is diffused and I may lower the angle yet but overall I like the effect. Although the light is diffused I get a mix of light and dark, shadow and drama (with the skull). The only concern is incorrect exposure on the shoot. I might seek some advice on lighting the white colorama I intend to place the still life upon as ideally I'd have some contrast between the black bag and the white clean background  (at least on the lit side-and possibly more if extra directional light is applied by further lights)







I've tweaked the actual objects also and made a few final changes such as: Removed the fake money, and decided to place real coins in the eyes of the skull on the final image (blinded by money- very Vanitas I thought); Bent and (made redundant) every paper clip; Every elastic band will be cut and also made redundant; Turned the cover of the training record book, to remove the primary red colour, muting the overall image; Increased the size of the black plastic bag; Scanned my old works social club pass (original was laminated and un-rippable), printed a paper copy that will be torn for the final image; Torn all the photographs, mostly across the face leaving the eyes separated from the lower face.

No comments:

Post a Comment