Tuesday 1 November 2011

Day 28 Tuesday 01st November 2011 (Environment Printing)

Day 28 Tuesday 01st November 2011

Attempted to get into university before stores opened at 09:30 knowing that I'd probably still be to late as circumstances meant I arrived at 09:10 (I'd been up since 07:00). Was promptly informed all the enlarger lenses were out (had been issued at 09:00 to the early birds) and the darkrooms were already full (as was expected)! So I had something to eat with a couple of the lads and put my name on the waiting list for both darkrooms (mostly wanting to print my B&W images as a preference as they are the bulk of the work). The waiting lasted over four hours, and it finally ended with the offer of a B&W enlarger. I quickly acquired a lens (as I shot 35mm due to the lack of medium format cameras), and set about setting myself up. Of course after focusing my first image the enlarger died (and stores was shut leaving me with a 35 minute wait to speak to someone), and Colin had to be called in (after waiting and queuing at stores again) to disconnect the electrics and swap over control boxes etc! Eventually it was up and running and so was I, I noted one B&W printer was N/S so this compounded the issues of student/enlarger availability issues. The enlarger to the right of me was also playing up and Colin had to come in and look at that as well.

The rest of the day was a continuous slog of setting up, focusing, wedge step strips and test strips followed by full size prints.

During the course of the day I printed four environment images (35mm), and the pastiche (Medium format). Leaving the one colour object image to print (Large Format). I'll scan the images but probably not add them to the blog until after the review (although I am away for most of the weekend at a wedding).

My last print came out of the machine at 19:25 But it was a rush to complete and far from perfect. It's the pastiche and the edge of the print has an error, and it's also rather grey but it was to late to do more so I called it a a day. I put everything away and left a short while later, it had been a busy day.

On inspecting the prints at home, I have noted the easel I used was obviously old and had slack in it, as the borders aren't perfect. The pastiche is aweful, but since this is due to be shot again I'm not overly bothered about the printing issues with this print.


Wedge steps, test strips and burn template along with final image



Last print and a very poor one as I ran out of time due to all the issues with equipment during the day. Technically the large border should be at the bottom, it's very grey and the border is incorrect on the LH side to.

No comments:

Post a Comment