Tuesday 25 October 2011

Day 25 Tuesday 25th Oct 2011 Environment tutorial

Tuesday 25th Oct 2011: 10:00 Environment Tutorial, Steffi Klenz

For those of us from group I who attended we had the opportunity to discuss progress and ideas. The definition of what a Pastiche was made clear to me, and my initial test attempts clearly aim to meet this definition (although my definition of what I thought the pastiches was during the tutorial may have made it sound as if I wasn't actually on track!) I choose Robert Adams image and my test shot is two trees with an ugly urban sprawl at a lower elevation, Steffi advised the camera might need to be higher (so something to consider there for the final images). I've still not ruled out further location changes and options here as well.

With regards my ideas for the three main images, it became clear that the test images lacked a simple clear narrative, with at least two sub contexts on the go. It is clear I need to focus on the basics of the message, decide what i want in the form of a 'mission statement' to use Business terminology. My initial ideas of shooting play locations with my son absent didn't seem to draw people in, I suspect it's something a parent would relate too, but not a non parent. It's interesting that Steffi had some ideas about the duality of play areas, the innocent and the darker side. Also the concept of a defined constructed space built and designed for a very specific singular use. I now have a number of concepts running through my mind :

  1. The concept of environment (Play Area) with Children Absent- Using moving playground furniture-roundabouts, swings etc and slow shutter speeds to capture the movement contrasted against the stillness of the environment and highlighting the absence of children. (A more defined version of my initial idea)
  2. The duel use of play areas concept. Using drugs and alcohol props to highlight an edgy more dangerous aspect of alternate users of these environments. (Further away from my initial concept and not really specific to me or my life)
  3. The concept of a defined space with single purpose where the environment is controlled and controlling
One of my prvious test shots
Steffi gave me a number of photographers to review which included Rut Blees (whose night time images we'd seen previously). Looking specifically at her 'Silverblade' image for reference (since I'd also shot a test shot of a slide) John Fishe and Ed Ruscha who's work and interview I'd previously watched on 'The Genius of Photography'

'Silverblade'

No comments:

Post a Comment