Thursday 3 November 2011

Day 29 Thursday 3rd Nov 2011 Free day Object Presentation

Martin Wilby (Group I)
Object Still Life

The narrative for my object photograph is based on a life experience of mine, Redundancy.
The concept was my first initial reaction to the brief and I investigated further concepts, including some research (all on my blog), but during my tutorial Dr Tom Slevin considered the Redundancy theme the best for me.
For me, redundancy was a multi layered, life changing experience and the ‘final paragraph to a 20 year career’. It was both good and bad in equal measures, a period of transition and change. It became a period of real soul searching and it also became the start to a new chapter in my life. I turned my back on my past and in many ways threw away the old me, and the knowledge I had learned in relation to the previous work life. I’ve been recycled and had the old connection to my previous life stripped away. It was a very personal journey, but one that was not unique to me.

Still Life: Research
The term ‘still life’ derives from the Dutch ‘Stilleven’ and was thus coined in the seventeenth Century. During this period in Western Europe the painted still life was a very popular genre. Before still life painting would have been titled and described by the contents of the image (i.e. Painting of a flower, etc). As artists started to build more complex images where the inter relationships, meanings and narratives became more important, the use of the still life generic term came into popular use.
Vanitas

The obvious inspiration for my narrative would be 'Vanitas' and based on my initial research it seems appropriate.
Vanitas as a genre comes from the quote "'Vanitas vanitatum... et omnia vanitas'" which translates to "Vanity of Vanities, saith the preacher, all is vanity" a quote from the New Testament (Ecclesiastes 12: 8- http://bible.cc/ecclesiastes/12-8.htm). It refers to the transient nature of all human actions such as seeking pleasure, attaining wealth, in comparison to what is to be gained from seeking faith. A Vanitas painting was a still life with a strong moral message warning of the pit falls of ownership of belongings, wealth and the pursuit of pleasure and the foolishness of human ambition.

Vanitas is connected in the art world to ‘Memento Mori’ a Latin expression for ‘Reminder of Death’. The basic underlying principle is that death is the greatest leveller, and a reminder of our mortality. Skulls were frequently being used in European art work in the 16th and 17th century for symbolic reasons
(Information sourced from: http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/glossary/vanitas)
We work in order to gain financial stability and wealth, as well as belongings, status and pleasure (via money). Vanitas fits perfectly with my narrative. In this day and age we live a very materialistic lifestyle; society is considered in some people’s views as dysfunctional. We have a financial crisis in the economy, political crisis and major religious and moral issues within society. As a nation we are at war in Afghanistan, and economically and morally our status as a country has been eroded.

I am using white to symbolise calm and order, contrasted against the black of the bin bag I intend to have my objects spilling out of. It is not my intention to do a direct pastiche of a known Vanitas painting, but I will use the strong symbolism, and apply that thought to my items.


Examples of Vanitas Images:



An Allegory of the Vanities of Human Life by Harmen Steenwyck c.1640



Still Life with Pie, Silver Ewer and Crab by Willem Claesz Heda 1658





Vanitas Still Life with Overturned Gilded Cup and Chain by Pieter Claesz c.1630




Still Life with Silver Goblet by Willem Claesz Heda c.1635

Self Evaluation
Starting with issues related to the project, I found it hard making the message generic and not too personal, especially after being told by a tutor to shoot this subject because it was so personal to me. It’s also taken me a while to absorb the depth of appropriate visual research required, having never done such an exercise before. The reasons behind my photographic visual choices translate my idea via the strong symbolism of the objects in relation to the narrative. If asked what context I would place my work in, I’d have to reply “Post Modern with roots in Art History.” I managed my studies by simply treating the brief like a task at work. This is my first ever photographic brief and project so it’s all a learning curve! We’ve had a lot going on including learning the basics, inductions and two other units, as well as acclimatisation. I continue to learn every day. I have used the blog, managed my time, and planned ahead. I plan to acquire a year planner to assist with dates, deadlines and project management. The most significant challenge so far has been the steep learning curve, learning and applying new skills, and being part of group ‘I’, who have been the last group in many cases to get workshops and tutorials. I intend to overcome hurdles and obstacles prior to my final submission by focusing on my areas of weakness. I have an open and honest approach to my studies, and I hope to learn as much as I can for every source available.

No comments:

Post a Comment