Friday 4 November 2011

Day 30 Friday 30th November 2011 (Interim review)

Friday 30th November 2011 10am, Interim Review Steffi Kenz.

I'd printed off my Blog, pulled together my print workings and sleeved those if case those were needed and was second to present after Callum.

I have to say that I pitched the the information I presented badly, took too long and generally did a poor job. I can't say I was pleased, but to be honest I really didn't feel like I knew what was required despite seeing the outline guide for the interim presentation. In industry (when presenting my own area of expertise) I have quite enjoyed the process of presenting, but this was a horrid expeience. I think the whole experience was rather harsh and unforgiving. Especially since for me this was my first ever 'visual language'/photgraphic project.

As a 'newbe' I was under the impression I could take aspects of an influencing artist and try to use those in a different context. But it's clear that this was a mistake.

I knew I'd have to re-shoot my three environment images as they were all test shots taken on 35mm (due to the fact I'd been unable to get a meduim format camera) after I'd changed direction with my images after the tutorial. I get the impression Steffi felt I'd done this though some dislike or reluctace to use the meduim format cameras? All my initial test shots were meduim format, taken on a Bronca and a Mamiya. I actually prefer meduim format to 35mm which it beats hands down!
It soon became apparent that everything was wrong, the consistancy, the message, the visual language, the influences. So total re-working is required! Thankfully I have thick skin and the more I think about it the more I feel I need to create a new narrative as that is the issue. I'm getting too tied up with a complex message I'm trying to fit into an environmential brief. Most of the others concepts are much simpler.

I'm not at all pretentious about my 'skills' (or lack of them!), I'm in fact quite humble and make no claims to be a good photograther! But I'd like to think maybe I could be one day!? So I'll take a few days to mull over what I need to do to get back up to speed with these projects, possibly taking a whole new direction with the environment images.

The weekend I am away attending a wedding so I'll come back next week with a fresh set of eyes and some new ideas I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment