Thursday 24 November 2011

Free day Thursday 24th November 2011 (Environment)

Thursday 24th November 2011

Waking early I took a friend to Maidstone and whilst there shot another roll of HP5 in my urban location (B&W scanned images below). This time shooting from both sides of the bridge to try a number of different camera angles (colour images below taken on digital G11- test shots).
Also shooting a pedestrian subway (which is my alternate back up idea)

















I had to return to Rochester to return the Uni camera and tripod by 13:00 (I never actually used the Fuji 6x9 in the end), I was loaned a Bronica ETRsi which I wanted to try. After dropping the camera off it was back home to collect my tripod (lighter and easier to carry) for the second shoot of the day. Again using the ETRsi I returned (for the third time) to the Rural location for my re-shoot of my initial environment images. I managed this just as the light was going, which was perfect as I'd been experimenting with different lighting conditions at this location.



As usual I used the G11 to record the progress:


I've always been fascinated with death and graveyards and i found this website that inspired me to seek my own view on this subject: http://www.davidashmanphotography.com/viewphotographsEternalView-19thCenturyGravestones.html24th November 2011

p
David Ashman (See link above)

David Ashman (See link above)


I'd like to expand on what David Ashman is doing by capturing the patina of the gravestones alongside the aged trees and environment that has grown up alongside them.

Also found this website that contains some interesting B&W graveyeard images: http://www.amandanorman.com/shop/index.html   24th November 2011

Amanda Norman has a series of over forty images which she describes as "Gardens of Death"


"Why graveyard photography?
As I wander through various cemeteries and graveyards, I can’t help but adore the architecture and design of the various headstones, tombs and mausoleums. The more elaborate, the more I think about the person it was erected for and what the community must have been like when that person lived. I love the peaceful atmosphere of these places and I’m disheartened when I see vandalism or graves that are left unattended.
These places of rest provoke a wide range of emotions prior to my over active imagination kicking in."
Text also taken from; http://www.amandanorman.com/shop/index.html 

 
Amada Norman and David Ashman are my two influences for this section of the project.


I returned some books to the local library and had a quick look to see if anything there related to my 'homework' task, without success. I have a book one one of the artists, so I'll have to see what I can find on the others at uni.

I'll process today's films and add top the blog when complete

No comments:

Post a Comment