Saturday 18 February 2012

Free day Saturday 18th 2012 Commission Concepts

 Saturday 18th 2012  Commission Concepts

Having been asked to give our idea to a fellow student to research I realised that I hadn't blogged my ideas, or the thought process behind them. I selected one of the ideas of 'Decaying military installations (local to Medway), forts/docks etc (Landscape/Environment)'

I've had so many ideas on this project that the real issue is narrowing down all the options into a short list that meet the brief and could be completed effectively in the time frame. I think the problem is my many varied ideas are either to literal, or to obtuse!



  • The Medway  (Landscape/Environment) Digital test shots taken to test this concept already..I suspect this will be covered by others and that alone puts me off the idea.

River Medway (test shots/recce digital)

River Medway

River Medway


  • Disused abandoned buildings reminiscent of the images of areas surrounding Chernobyl (Landscape/Environment) reference Robert Polodori. A critique on broken homes, broken Britain. Again residential disused properties I suspect would be a popular subject, and I like to be a bit unusual with my ideas.


  • Weapons of war (Still Life) A critique on the industrialisation and manufacture of the weapons of war. Waste of life, waste of endeavour, waste of materials etc. Touching on ideology and politics with the selection of weapons made.

  • NBC Suit (Portrait-Studio) A critique on the obscene Nuclear Biological and Chemical (NBC) weapons developed by the military, and the counter measures to them. Billions of pounds wasted on weapons over tens of decades that should never be used, some have been legislated against and often end up as waste that is a huge burden on society and the ecology. Critiquing civilised military thinking and ideology.

  • Road Kill (Landscape/Environment) A critique on humans destruction of everything around us.

  • Decaying military installations (local to Medway), forts/docks etc (Landscape/Environment)
Fort Amherst recce

Fort Amherst recce, cannon
Grain Tower recce

Grain Dummy fort recce http://www.undergroundkent.co.uk/grain_dummy_battery.htm

Grain Dummy Fort http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlaZWPs_wNQ

Grain Dummy Fort

Grain Dummy Fort

Grain Dummy Fort

Abandoned structure near Dummy Fort

Kingsnorth Power station (Grain)


  • 1940's Military Portraits, German (Still Life) used as a metaphor for waste caused by ideology/politics/and restriction in free thinking. Critiquing mans wasteful destructive capabilities.
Images care of my collection

Images care of my collection

Images care of my collection

Images care of my collection


  • Gig tickets/fliers/cards (Still Life) The use of waste items and our emotional bond and the link to memory/journey/narrative. A visual representation of the way we place emotional value in waste items, holding them dear to us because of what they become to represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment