Monday 6 February 2012

Free day Monday 6th February 2012

Monday 6th February 2012

Today should have consisted of a lecture and seminar for the 'Time Machine' project, but due to bad weather those were cancelled.

I've spent a fair amount of time considering ideas for the waste commission project, and I suspect I'll run through a dozen or more ideas before I settle on one.

With my interests in conflict and needing a local to Medway subject I've started to consider all kinds of random types of military waste and detritus such as wreckage of WW1 submarines! A number of these craft were scrapped along the Medway after WW1 ended, leaving hulks (or debris) still visible today in at least one case. I doubt this will make it into my final short list for ideas but it was/is an interesting one.

http://www.squidoo.com/ww1-uboat-sub-wreck

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=51+25%27+50.02+N,+00+37%27+55.66E&t=k&om=1&ll=51.430561,0.632128&spn=0.000923,0.002642

I also liked the idea of using old and now defunct weaponry which is the waste or left overs from conflicts in some way, and I discovered some artists were making furniture or art/sculptures out of old guns. This was again very interesting but not really something that would meet the brief with regards to the local Medway area. But as an idea it has led me to think about local disused facilities and weapons (including ordnance and structures) as another possible avenue to consider. Even the university sits on the site of a fort that has long since been removed.



No comments:

Post a Comment