Sunday 25 September 2011

Object project

Sunday 25th September 2011

Initial ideas


·         Redundancy

After brainstorming what redundancy meant to me it consisted of a number of very complex ideas.
Obviously I have personal experience to draw upon, but something Jonathan said kept popping into my head about not internalising the subject too much. I guess this becomes a rather personal story, but hopefully one that others would relate too with ease. Initially I thought about using a bin as a metaphor (with items placed in it), but that aspect is still fluid in my thoughts atm. What I do what to emphasise is the human aspect.  
I have to consider lighting and impact, and the strength of the image that needs to develop. If I don’t actually use a bin there are plenty of ways of expressing the massage of individuals being discarded/displaced/. I wanted to highlight human frailty within the machine that is capitalism, the fact that we are all small cogs in the machine that is society, and that we can be discarded in an impersonal manor that can affect us individually in a much more personal way. There is something poignant about a career ending, since the subject has obviously nurtured their career, lived it, embraced it and its untimely end is not of their making.
I’ve had more ideas after discussing the image with a good friend, and I think people need to be seen to be the key subject matter of the image, with the narrative showing their situation. 
Their journey, an enforced one taking them via the process put in place to an undetermined final destination, a story of transition, of being selected and having their position terminated. I can see photographs with faces crossed out, indicating selection and the final indignity of being selected. How I structure and construct the rest of the image has yet to be finalised.  My influences will develop as I get my induction to researching and the library and I’m exposed to more artists work.

No comments:

Post a Comment