Thursday 22 September 2011

Day 7

Wednesday 21st September 2011

10:00 'The Environment Unit brief & introductory thoughts' Steffi Klenz

I'll need to sit and read through all of this and digest it in more detail, but I like the subject matter. I wasn't to concerned about the regimented approach to the proposed Wednesday 'Environment day' activities. I've worked within a very structured and regimented environment for many years.

14:00 Seminar 'Approaches to making work'

Interesting to note the percentage of mature students presenting work over the two sessions I've had showing third year work. I found that very encouraging indeed. I warmed to the B&W architectural images, something about the stark brutal nature that drew me to them. I tend to be drawn towards the darker harsher fringe subjects, and history fascinates me. Although it has to be said that I am also a collector of images (on a small scale), although  they are dark and linked to a very narrow specific period in history


I've already had an initial idea about the 'Object' project, and Ian Turner seemed to like the subject as it affected us both, so I suspect we might cover the same subject in our own unique ways, early days yet so only time will tell on that. I expressed an interest in depicting 'Redundacy/Joblessness' and the effects it has, using an overflowing waste basket and training records/cv's/pay slips/job applications/signing on books, cast into the receptacle. Would they be simply discarded, or would they be re-cycled?
They would face a journey either way, a transition, and in many ways there fate has been passed over to others. It's a narrative about the human condition, fate, birth (or re-birth), a commentary of broken Britain. Raising questions such as: Why are they discarded and no longer needed for future use? What is the human story behind the objects story? How would the viewer relate to this situation, should they face it themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment