Friday 9 December 2011

Day 45 Friday 9th December 2011 (Body)

Friday 9th December 2011 (Body)

Today was the portrait shoot day which we've all been planning for and it turned out to be a really interesting day.
Setting up in studio one it was obviously a busy day in the studios as flash power packs were almost out of stock when I got to the stores! Setting up took longer than I'd hoped due to lack of clamps top hold the poly boards.

Set up was assisted by some advice and assistance from Jonathan with Ian Turner doing the bulk of the work (with the set/lighting). Lights and set up were as per my previous blog initially, although by the afternoon we'd tweaked the set up.

All my sitters arrived on time with a range of props and we set about taking and processing images with Amy Still and Theresa Trannah arriving at 10:30. and staying until about 14:00(?). I had a couple of technical snags/user errors, but nothing we couldn't overcome and almost three rolls of film were fired off (with a few frames of film being lots to silly errors or glitches)

Initial set up RH side of the set

Additional fill light and adjusted reflecting polyboard

Final layout (PM)
Final Layout (misus front Reflecter/poly board)


Adrian Horwood arrived at 14:30 and having reviewed my initial negatives and contact sheets I wanted to try and get more light onto the sitters face. Jonathan and Ian dealt with adding a fill light whilst I continued to shoot and at the same time we switched from F8 to F11 on the main light (as the fill was added) and took the background up from F16 to F22 (with the new fill putting out F4). I'd overexposed by at least half a stop (as required) but the initial images looked like they needed more lighting. Hindsight might say that the fill should have been added at the start, but the test set up in the classroom was followed exactly initially. Dark clothing and props creating shadow were the main reason for adding the fill and seeing the differing results will be interesting when i scan the negs.

Once scanned and reviewed I'll be able to decide which images worked best

I'd like to thank my sitters and the Salvation Army for their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment